How many times have people gotten themselves into trouble by using sarcasm with other people who just don't get it? I've done it a lot.
I don't get people who don't get sarcasm - I don't trust them. They're usually the people who ruin all the fun for the rest of us. The helicopter parents, the whistle-blowers, those damned morons that said Pluto couldn't be a planet anymore and the ones that came up with "political correctness" (Vertically-challenged preadolecents??? No, they are children - children I say!).
In the arena of writing, we have italics which work pretty well but not always clearly. They are multifunctional, often seen in publications, books, bibliographies and such to donate titles, scientific nomenclature and proper names, to draw attention to a particular part of a text in order to show emphasis or contrast, to identify foreign words. Even more confusing, sometimes italics are used instead of quotation marks. (See what I did there?)
In other mediums such as texts, im's, some email programs especially those sent from your cell phone, facebook statuses, conversations, etc. there is no way of using italics and many ways of getting into trouble because you cannot. Also, if you are in the middle of talking/writing sarcastically about something that grammatically needs italics, you're screwed.
You can use ALL CAPS to indicate sarcasm but to me that can also signify yelling in text format.
Which leads me back to the need for a sarcasm font.
Simply put, we need one.
How extremely true. I wonder what a sarcasm font would look like...
ReplyDeleteAnd people who don't get sarcasm freak me out too.
P e r h a p s spacing words out would emphasise a sarcastic tone, although my initial effort suggests it m I g h t n o t w o r k t o o w e l l !
ReplyDeletecomic sans serif should work nicely
ReplyDeleteI usually use italics
ReplyDeletehmm
Cool post. I like this style of writing, it suits you...
ReplyDeleteI say if they can't get it from the context they deserve to be left in the dark.
ReplyDeleteSo there!
I know, compassion for the masses by the quart in every vein, it is one of my best traits.